And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first Fokker airplane built in the world. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker. - Custodian at the Aviodome aviation museum, Schiphol airport Amsterdam.
|Lots of Stuff|
|Leg fairings being aligned and bonded...|
I finally got an engine. It is a Lycoming IO-360A1A. It had a prop
strike, but at least I have something as a foundation to build upon.
After returning from the long road trip of picking it up from Arkansas,
I eventually got it dismantled. All parts were sent away for
inspection/repair, sans cylinders; they only have 820 hours on them and
look good, but I will probably end up exchanging them so I end up with
a zero time since major' engine.
The case came back from Divco with a thumbs up. The cam and other small
steel parts came back OK, too. The big one; the crankshaft amazingly
also came back repaired and OK. Nice. Now I need to decide about the
I am using wheelpants supplied by Sam James, for the RV-10. The
brackets were from Vans Aircraft, for their wheelpants, so I had to
tweak the bracket angles to suit. I raised the plane off the ground so
there was no spread on the gear, then set the pants to line of flight.
I then reinforced the screw attach locations with thin steel plates and
glassed them in. The pants took a lot of preparing. especially the
mating of the two halfs, which still need to be fine tuned/tidied up. I
added a mud wall to the rear half of the pant utlizing 1 inch blue foam
with a few layers of glass of it. They're butt ugly inside there, but
no one can see them :0).
As is common with the RV installations, the legs were dampened with
wood, then wrapped with glass cloth and soaked with West Systems Epoxy.
The leg fairings are from The F1 Rocket guys. These fairings were
aligned with the line of flight with string lines running top and
bottom to ensure no twist in the fairing. To secure them while bonding
the trailing edges, I fashioned some temporary steel brackets to hold
the trailing edges in situ, top and bottom. The next task is to spray
builders foam into the fairings, then look at the pant_to_leg
instersection fairing fabrication (modeller's clay).
The emergency release cable system has now been completed and fine
tuned and works consistently. I tried redesigning the release process
from a 3 stage process to 2, but finally gave up; 3 it is. I am losing
1 second by using a 3 stage process, I'll live with it.
A visitor noted that when the canopy was open, it would bounce around up there when windy, causing perhaps stress on the hinge, not to mention it could come crashing down. So I fashioned a stay made from carbon tube. The tough part was designing a grab mechanism for attaching the stay to the turtledeck; The stay has a ball shaped steel end (from a gas operated door closer), the stay is pushed into a hole in the t-deck, in the t-deck is a fitting that i made that is essentially a tube with a compression spring loaded piston. The end of the piston mates with the steel ball on the stay, holding the stay in place. On the front of the t-deck is a small plunger handle that I pull (thus compressing the spring) to release the stay. The stay stows away on a nylon clip (actually a piece of nylon tube with a bit cut out to form a c-shape) attached to the canopy frame.
I made a new panel due to later changes in the canopy and other
factors. The panel is now ready for paint.
All plumbing aft of the firewall is now complete. Vents and drains for smoke and gas are complete.
My iPhone takes crappy pictures...coming soon
seff sf sf s..
Extending and repairing the nose bowl.....
| RSS Feed Reader
- Latest Stuff
|Georgetown Weather Advisory:
Local TX Weather
RSS Feed Reader
Fog/Mist and 72 F.
Winds: Southeast at 3.
Heat Index: .
Updated: Sep 23 2017, 6:56 am.